Vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling the vapour produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device. E-cigarettes are handheld devices designed to simulate the feeling of smoking, without actually burning any material such as tobacco. They work by heating a liquid to generate an aerosol, commonly called a “vapour” that the user inhales.
Vaping has become increasingly popular, especially among young people. In 2009, e-cigarettes sales in the U.S. were estimated at $500 million. By 2014, sales had grown to $2 billion and are expected to surpass $10 billion by 2018. Vaping has gained popularity among current and former tobacco smokers looking for a healthier alternative to traditional cigarettes.
There are many reasons why you should take vaping seriously, including the following:
- It is safer than traditional cigarettes: Electronic cigarettes do not contain tar, ash, and other harmful chemicals found in regular cigarettes and cigars. You can check Heated Tobacoo Kits for more information.
- It is cheaper than traditional cigarettes: The average pack of cigarettes costs $6 or more, but e-cigarettes can cost as little as $30 for a starter kit. Even if you become a heavy smoker, vaping will still cost less than smoking.
- It is less addictive than traditional cigarettes: The nicotine in e-cigarettes is delivered through water vapor instead of smoke, which makes it less addictive than smoking because it has fewer chemicals and no carcinogens or carbon monoxide.
- It is more discrete than traditional cigarettes: Because it produces very little smoke, there is no lingering odor or smoke cloud to draw attention to you when you vape indoors compared to smoking. This makes e-cigarettes ideal for social settings.
- It helps quit smoking: Vaping is in the news more and more. It’s still not 100 percent clear how safe it is, but many people are using e-cigarettes to help them quit smoking. A 2014 study in JAMA Internal Medicine showed that out of 657 smokers who didn’t want to quit, 17 percent were able to stop smoking tobacco when they switched to e-cigarettes.
Vaping is less harmful than regular cigarettes Vaping is not 100% safe, but scientific research has found it to be much less harmful than traditional combustion cigarettes. A study published by Public Health England found that vaping was 95% safer than smoking. The Royal College of Physicians also released a report saying that e-cigs were at least 95% safer than conventional cigarettes and could be encouraged as a substitute. Vaping can be used as an aid to quit smoking.
Cigarettes are considered one of the leading causes of preventable death in the U.S., with over 480,000 people dying annually as a result of cigarette smoke. Many smokers take up vaping as an alternative to smoking, as it provides many similar sensations without many of the harmful effects associated with tobacco cigarettes. The Royal College says that “e-cigarette use alone does not lead to significant deterioration in lung function”.